Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Poetry of Music: Part 2

Hello all –

Bet you’ve all heard of the poets, Joe Darion, Joan Whitney and Alex Kramer. My point being that lyricists are even less well known than other poets. Joe Darion wrote the lyrics to my all time favorite Broadway musical, Man of La Mancha. Something about a crazy old poet who retains his idealism in a mad world that speaks to me.

To dream the impossible dream,

To fight the unbeatable foe,

To bear with unbearable sorrow,

To run where the brave dare not go, etc.

Joe Darion

Last year Kim, Allen and Max took us to an outdoor performance of Man of La Mancha. I loved it and got my favorite baseball hat with “Dreamer” on it. Which is a round about way to another song that may be my theme song:

They call me a dreamer

Well maybe I am

But I know that I’m burning to see,

Those far away places

With strange sounding names

Calling, calling me.

Joan Whitney & Alex Kramer

Which is really the long way to saying that we’re off for 4 weeks in New Zealand. But, with a little help from Kim, you’ll continue to get my messages. So go ahead, be a dreamer and follow your star this week. Love, Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment